External articles on your career and ethics
Focus Article: D.Zinger, "Why All Leaders Are Social Workers", David Zinger, Employee Engagement, 13 Mar. 2012. If you are a leader you are also a social worker.
- R.Greenwood, "Insecure Bosses Poison Careers and Organizations", Netshare Newsletter, Nov. 2011. Few things are more destructive to a career than a boss who is insecure. Unfortunately, it is a near certainty that most people will encounter one or more such persons along the career path.
- S.Adams, "How To Get A Job When You're Over 50", Forbes, 30 Sept. 2010. Your job search strategy and attitude are more important than your age.
- S.Adams, "How To Get A Job If You're Over-Qualified", Forbes, 3 May 2011. If you are overqualified for the job, it can be hard to land, especially if they are afraid that you will leave at the first new position. How to make your experience an advantage and win the position.
- S.Overman, "Younger bosses, older underlings", Fortune, 2 May 2011. Was your boss still in diapers when you landed your first full-time gig? A few tips on how to build a solid working relationship.
- J.R.Platt, "Overhaul of Consultants Database Could Boost Chances of Getting Hired", The Institute, 7 Apr. 2011. Ever-growing database adds new features.
- S.Achor, "Make Stress Work for You", Harvard Business Review, 15 Feb. 2011. Make Stress Work for You at the office.
- R.Ashkenas, "Your Communications May Not Be Communicating", Harvard Business Review, 15 Feb. 2011. How to communicate better with your team.
- S.Achor, "Make Stress Work for You", Harvard Business Review, 15 Feb. 2011. Make Stress Work for you at the office.
- L.Quast, "Co-worker Sabotage! How One Savvy Professional Turned a Dirty Trick Around", Forbes, 2 Sept. 2010. A girlfriend recently had a very interesting situation occur in which a co-worker consciously tried to make her look bad in front of her peers and her boss.
- P.Patel, "Engineers and Business School - A Match Made in Heaven", IEEE Spectrum, Feb. 2011. Whether to advance to management, work on Wall Street, or turn a ripe idea into a business venture, getting an MBA is a popular career move.
- P.Patel, "The Other MEMs: The Master of Engineering Management Degree", IEEE Spectrum, Feb. 2011. Engineers who want something more tech-oriented than an MBA are rediscovering an old degree.
- L.A.Hill, K.Lineback, "Make The Best Way to Play Office Politics", Harvard Business Review, 11 Jan. 2011. "Office politics" are not necessarily evil. There is a right and wrong way to get involved.
- R.C.Pozen, J.Fox, "Make Meetings Work: Fight the PowerPoint ", Harvard Business Review, 25 Oct. 2010. How to have effective meetings: Fight the Powerpoint!
- R.C.Pozen, J.Fox, "What Not to Spend Your Time On", Harvard Business Review, 18 Oct. 2010. How to do proper delegation.
- S.Adams, "How To Communicate Better At Work", Forbes, 19 Nov. 2010. Communicate bad news effectively.
- W.Johnson, "Getting Three Reasons You Shouldn't Delegate", Harvard Business Review, 1 Dec. 2010. Here are three particular situations where delegating is inadvisable.
- W.C.Taylor, "Getting Smarter about Google's 'Brain Drain'", Harvard Business Review, 30 Nov. 2010. Stars are not the secret to company success: Harvard Business Review on the challenges facing Google, relevant to all companies.
- R.Ashkenas, "Leverage Your Top Talent Before You Lose It", Harvard Business Review, 7 Sept. 2010. Too often managers unintentionally hinder or discourage their star performers. This counter-productive behavior is not ill-intended. It's often because the manager isn't sure how to motivate someone who is so exceptionally talented. If you are lucky enough to have such high-performers on your team, try these three things to make the most of them.
R.I.Sutton, "Why good bosses tune in to their People", McKinsey Quarterly, Aug. 2010. Know how to project power, counsels Stanford management professor Bob Sutton, since those you lead need to believe you have it for it to be effective. And to lock in your team’s loyalty, boldly defend their backs.
P.Weddle, "Making a Stand on Business Ethics", Job Journal, 6 June 2010. Career Activists Focus on Fairness, Integrity and Self-Respect.
- D.E.Chandler, L.Eby, "When Mentoring Goes Bad", The Wall Street Journal, 25 May 2010. A good relationship can help both mentor and protégé. Here's how to make sure that happens.